Sunday, January 13, 2013

Behind the Wall

 Today we ventured into the Old City! We passed through Damascus gate and onto the streets of a place unlike any I've ever seen. The old city has a population around 35,000 in an area about 1 square km. This makes for an incredibly tight place. If you look closely in the picture you can see how people have claimed the rooftops and live on other people's homes. Below, the streets are full of vendors and "shops." In the parts we explored, the sky can only be seen through small air vents. I felt like I was traveling through tunnels.

Do you see that picture? That is what I call heaven. Now imagine street after street of that. I'm pretty sure I am going to buy an entire new wardrobe here. I'm in love.  As we were checking out all the shops, many of the store owners were so excited to see us. They all called to us, "BYU? Mormons! Come in!" One man brought us into his shop and took us to the back where there were notes taped to the wall from past students! It was so cool. He, like all the others we met, offered us discounts and gave us business cards and even gave us free stuff. We have been pick pocketed and spit on (story for another day), but these store owners definitely like us!
It's in Hebrew!  So legit. 

(ps click on the pictures to make them bigger.)

No comments:

Post a Comment