Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shopping

 After class we walked into old Jerusalem and explored the shops.
 We stopped for lunch in West Jerusalem (the modern part comparable to Europe). I ate my first falafel and ate it in a lafel. . . ? I think that's how you say it. It was delicious!!
Then we found our way back into the old city where we met Shaban and his son Omar. They gave us grapefruit juice and let us dress up in traditional clothing.
 I stopped into a jewelery store and saw a gorgeous silver and Eilat ring. It is the national stone of Israel. The store owner was a really good salesman. He gave the speech, (many shopkeepers give it) "For tourist the price is 150 shekels. For students the price is 130 shekels. But for the Mormons, the price is 100 shekels." The store owners love us because every semester they get a new group of 80 students who are ready to buy everything. I bartered for the first time and managed to get him down to 70 shekels. I bought it! My first buy in Jerusalem= $18. I'm in love with the ring and proud of myself for walking away with only one purchase for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment