Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bethlehem Field Trip

Today we finally went to Bethlehem! We started at the Herodium--Herod's summer palace outside the city. It was a huge complex.

In Bethlehem we went to the Church of the Nativity. This is the oldest continually operating church in the world. It was rebuilt in 565 AD.  Inside is the traditional spot where Jesus was born. It was covered in elaborate ornaments like the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

After waiting in a line for an hour we made our way down the stairs into a small room where tradition marks the spot of His birth.

On the other side of the room was the manger's resting place.

Then we visited two different churches dedicated to the shepherds. Below is my most favorite church of all the ones I've seen. It was on the Orthodox shepherd's field. The walls were covered in brilliant murals depicting Christ's life. The colors were beautiful.

Finally we drove outside of Bethlehem and sat on the shepherd's fields looking up to the city. It was a dramatic change from the touristy, loud, and busy morning we experienced. We finally had a moment to stop and ponder Christ and his birth. We sang hymns, bore our testimonies, and read from Luke.

As the sun sank behind Bethlehem I thought about my testimony. Christ was born onto this earth. I didn't have to Come to Bethlehem to realize this, but it was an amazing moment to look up to that city and know it happened. At times like this I am blown away and amazed by the experiences I am having. I am so blessed.



No comments:

Post a Comment